Stuffed Bell Pepper
Ready in 40 minutes
Serves 6 people
- 2/3 cup quinoa*
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 bell peppers, any color (medium-large size)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs lean ground chicken**
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 Tbsp)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsp minced fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded Daiya Vegan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, trim about 1/4-inch from the tops of bell peppers and then remove stems, ribs and seeds. Fill a baking dish large enough to fit peppers with about 1/2-inch of water.
- Place peppers upside down in water, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over-medium high heat. Add onion and saute 3 - 4 minutes. Move onions to one far side of the skillet. Add chicken in chunks, season with salt and pepper then let sear until browned on bottom, about 3 minutes.
- Break up chicken and toss with onions and continue to cook 2 minutes, add garlic and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 1 minute longer. Remove from heat, drain off excess fat.
- Stir in tomatoes, half of the tomato sauce (about 1/2 cup), cooked rice, parsley, Italian seasoning and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350. Turn peppers upright, sprinkle inside peppers lightly with salt and fill with beef filling. Pour remaining tomato sauce over peppers. Cover with foil and continue to bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with cheese, return to the oven and bake uncovered until peppers have reached desired tenderness, about 10 - 20 minutes longer. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm
Can use Ground turkey instead of chicken add additional toppings as desired
Adjust serving sizes as necessary to meet macros