Meatball Parm Stuffed Zucchini recipe
Meatball Parm Stuffed Zucchini
Ready in 20 minutes
Serves 2 people
- 2 medium-large zucchini (about 9 oz. each)
- 6 oz. raw extra-lean ground turkey (at least 96% lean)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tbsp. panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp. (about 1 large) egg white or fat-free liquid egg white
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. each salt and black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2/3 cup marinara sauce with 4g fat or less per serving
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese, or more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Slice off and discard stem ends of zucchini. Pierce zucchini several times with a fork. On a microwave-safe plate, microwave for 3 minutes. Flip zucchini and microwave for 3 more minutes, or until softened.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and 1/4 tsp. garlic powder. Mix thoroughly. Firmly and evenly form into 16 small meatballs.
- Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add meatballs, and cook and rotate until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low. Carefully add sauce, and coat the meatballs. Cover and cook for 8 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Gently scoop out the inside flesh, leaving about 1/4 inch inside the skin. Thoroughly pat dry. Place on the baking sheet, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp. garlic powder.
- Evenly distribute meatballs and sauce among the zucchini (4 meatballs per half). Sprinkle it with mozzarella and Parm. Bake until melted, about 5 minutes.
Can switch out toppings or change to lean ground chicken
Can substitute vegan cheese
Adjust servings and ingredients to fit macros