Breakfast Burrito Recipe
Ready in 40 minutes
Serves 4 people
FOR THE AVOCADO-TOMATO SALSA
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/2 cup diced seeded tomatoes, from 1 to 2 tomatoes
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, from 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
FOR THE BURRITOS
- 2 large egg
- 3 cups egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices Turkey Bacon
- 1/2 lb Chicken sausage
- 1 cup shredded Daiya Vegan Cheese
- La Tortilla Factory Protein Tortillas
- Make the Avocado-Tomato Salsa: Place all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and egg whites with the smoked paprika and salt. Set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage from the pan to a plate, leaving the drippings in the pan. Reduce the heat to low. Add the eggs and scramble until just cooked through. Transfer the eggs to a plate. Clean the pan (you'll use it again).
- Assemble the burritos: Spoon about 1/4 cup of the avocado-salsa onto each tortilla (you'll have a little leftover salsa; that's for the cook!), followed by a quarter of the sausage, a quarter of the eggs, and 1/3 cup cheese. Fold in the sides of the tortilla over the filling and roll, tucking in the edges as you go.
- Lightly coat the pan with oil and set over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the burritos, seam side down. Cook, covered, until the bottom of the burritos are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip the burritos over and continue cooking, covered, until golden, a few minutes more. Serve warm.
- Make Ahead: The burritos may be assembled a few hours ahead of time, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerated, before cooking. To reheat leftover burritos, wrap in foil and warm in a 350°F oven for about 15 minutes. (They won't be as crisp as they are fresh out of the pan, but they reheat well.)
Prep several burritos ahead of time for multiple days of breakfast ready